Tuesday 11 March 2014

How To Travel Smart!

Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky
are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now,wish right now,wish right now.

The lyrics of this song haunt me as I get that familiar itch to leave it all behind and travel to a new destination.I love the break that holidays provide from our mundane everydays and we enter an alternate dimension where you are relaxed all the time.It's ok to go clubbing with a sunburnt nose.And missing the prepaid breakfast buffet because you slept in is also acceptable once in a while. I love the feeling of excitement when you step out of the airport to get a cab and all of the sudden the jet lag disappears and your camera starts clicking away.I love how we learn something new everyday and chat up to random locals which we would never do at home because we're always in a hurry.I love the sights and smells and sounds of the unfamiliar.

I have picked up some tips on how to travel smart over the years and would like to share them with you.I am in no way an expert and I hope to learn a lot more from the journeys yet to come but I hope that these might help you to plan your next trip!

  • Do not go for a package tour! Having a few hours of 'leisure time' in a day is not my idea of sightseeing.I also hate the idea of getting up at 6am on a holiday so that you don't miss your bus.Plan a holiday according to your interest.You might want to spend more time at a park than a museum.Planning your own itinerary gives you the freedom to do that.                                                                      
  • Unless you're at a beach destination and all you want to do the whole week is sunbathe and eat...Do not go for an all inclusive resort.An AI has buffet meals which can get a little boring after a while and you don't really get to go out to explore the destination much.
  • Compare your flight,hotel and bus bookings at a website like Skyscanner which gives you the rates available online at different travel websites and lets you choose the most affordable option without compromising on the quality.Also,get a quote or itinerary from your local travel agent.It's free advice and they are always happy to help! Sometimes they have special concessions for certain destinations.You can combine online booking and booking through agents to tailor make a perfect holiday!hop
  • Pack only what you need.You don't want to ruin a good vacation by mourning something important you left behind.Avoid carrying food and alcohol.They are illegal in some countries and you might have to pay a hefty penalty fee if caught.Check the laws of the place you are travelling to.For example,its illegal to carry alcohol and religious idols into the Maldives.And,No hand luggage except your purse is allowed while coming back from Srinagar.
  • Check the weather prediction before you pack.Sometimes the average temperatures are unpredictable.Always carry a sunscreen,sunglasses,a cap,an umbrella and a light jacket or Shawl.When we went to Istanbul in the middle of the summer,we were freezing on the first day because the temperature dipped suddenly due to unexpected rainfall.
  • Make a list of places you want to visit along with their contact details and timings before you go.A lot of tourist places are shut on a weekday and we tend to lose track of what day it is when on a vacation.If you are a vegetarian like me,make a list of the vegetarian or veggie friendly places.Tripadvisor is your best friend.
  • Invest in a good camera.Even if you don't like clicking pictures of yourself,the best way to preserve memories are through pictures of the places you see.Smartphones just don't cut it,no matter the Megapixel.
  • Talk to the locals.Its sometimes better to break free of the itinerary and take the advice of someone who knows the place best.
  • Spend some time alone.Sometimes when I travel in a group,I like to take a day alone relaxing.I read a book at a coffee shop,lounge around the beach or stroll around downtown.It feels amazingly peaceful and you notice a lot of things that you would have missed if you were with someone about the place.
  • Travel by public transport.It's much more interesting and cost efficient than taking a cab!
  • Switch off your cellphone,put your feet up and just relax!
I leave you with an assortment of my favourite pictures from my trip to Kenya! A surreal experience that I would love to have again or maybe explore other parts of Africal.Happy Travels!











P.S.-This post is my entry for #travelsmartwithskyscanner Contest by Indiblogger. All images are subject to copyright.


7 comments:

  1. Hey there, your writing reflects sincerity. I wouldn't mind if you win this contest

    ReplyDelete
  2. packing what u need- hmm a serious disorder I hve. hope u win this entry .
    New post on my blog <3
    ✿thefashionflite
    ✿twitter
    ✿Bloglovin
    ✿FaceBook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome ideas. Love the first one .. cause I agree ... package tours are a no no.
    Lucky you! Kenya!!!!!
    And belated congrats on your wedding :)

    http://everythingthatclicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some fab tips there. I don't think i've ever been on a package holiday before nor have I ever been to a resort. SkyScanner is awesome! I tend to use that when I'm thinking of going away :)

    Great post!

    Halima
    Fashionicide // Fashion, with a difference
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post for wannabe travelers. Thanks for the amazing tips.
    Buy western dresses online in India from XOXO online store.

    ReplyDelete

badge